The Episcopal Youth Event 2014 (EYE ‘14) will take place July 9 – 16 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This is a special event held every three years at various cities throughout the country. The host diocese is the Diocese of Pennsylvania, with assistance from most of the other Province III Dioceses. As of right now, delegations from all 119 dioceses in the country are expected, with international students also invited to attend. In all, over 2000 students are expected to take part!
Because the event is only held every 3 years and is only open to high school students, this may very well be a once in a lifetime opportunity!
- Each diocese is allotted space for 24 students and 6 adult chaperones. These spaces are expected to fill quickly. Additionally, there will be members (adult and teen) from the Diocese of Pittsburgh attending as program volunteers. These people will not count toward the allotment mentioned.
- Students who are planning on attending must have completed their freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year of high school by the time the event is held. Each student must completely fill out a registration form.
- Adults wishing to serve as chaperones must fill out a registration form and undergo a background check at their own expense (we can help coordinate the check).
Registration for EYE ’14 will open on January 6, 2014 and one must register through one’s own diocese. The Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh will have a email address available for registration as well as paper copies. The Episcopal Diocese of Pittsburgh will close registration on February 3, 2014 to allow time to meet the registration guidelines furnished by the Diocese of Pennsylvania. For more information or to register contact Victoria O'Brien (firstname.lastname@example.org or 412-295-5616) or Brent Hansen (email@example.com or 412-491-9738) ASAP.
Once registered, registrants and a parent or guardian will be invited to attend a mandatory meeting on a date to be announced soon. The meeting will discuss details of the trip, transportation, and fundraising.
THEME AND PROGRAM
The theme for EYE ’14 is “Five Marks of Mission: Living Out the Baptismal Covenant.” While programs and topics are being finalized, we can give you a basic outline of the entire event. The event is divided into two different segments. Students may participate in Segment 1 ONLY or Segment 1 and Segment 2. There is NO OPTION to participate in Segment 2 ONLY.
- SEGMENT 1: July 9-12, 2014 – An opportunity for celebration: fun, faith, fellowship, daily workshops and a special opportunity to worship with the Presiding Bishop. We will be staying on the campus of Villanova University
- Wednesday, July 9 –Welcome, Registration, Dorm Assignments.
- Thursday, July 10 – Opening celebration, Special Service with the Presiding Bishop.
- Friday, July 11 – “Day Out” in Philadelphia including sightseeing and concluding with a special dinner in Fairmont Park.
- Saturday, July 12 – Closing Event. Departure for those not staying for the Urban Mission. (Programs will be provided for those who will be staying for the Urban Mission.)
- SEGMENT 2: July 13-16, 2014– Urban Mission Work. We will work throughout the city of Philadelphia at sites including the St. James Episcopal School. For this segment, our accommodations will be the dormitories of University of Pennsylvania.
- Sunday, July 13 – Busing provided from Villanova to UPenn. New dorm assignments.
- Monday, July 14 – Tuesday, July 15 – Mission Work
- Wednesday, July 16 – Departure
The costs are broken down as follows:
- If only participating in Segment 1 – $325.00 (plus transportation costs: Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and back) $50 deposit due at first meeting.
- If participating in both segments – $625.00 (plus transportation costs: Pittsburgh to Philadelphia and back) $100 deposit due at first meeting.
Participants should not be deterred by the costs! We will be holding various fundraisers throughout the Diocese in the months preceding EYE ’14. It is expected that youth who wish to benefit from funds raised will participate and help earn the funds necessary to get them there. If there is a will, God will provide a way!
For more information, or if you or someone in your parish may be interested in attending please contact Vickie (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Brent (email@example.com) ASAP to start the registration process.
More information can also be obtained by visiting: http://www.episcopalchurch.org/page/episcopal-youth-event-2014
Please forward this email to your youth group and parents. Also, we will be sending out a promotional flyer to post in your parish.
Thanks and Blessings!