Absalom Jones Day Celebration
A Celebration of the Life and Ministry of the First African American to be ordained in the Episcopal Church
"Celebrating Diversity in New Ways: Inside the Church and Out"
Saturday, February 1, 2014
328 Sixth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA
10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Celebration Day Events:
- Missa Luba African Mass w/Holy Eucharist – Bishop McConnell, Celebrant, the Rev. Dr. Canon Sandye A. Wilson, Preacher
- Luncheon – $8.00 per person or $15 per family
- Performance by youth of The Neighborhood Youth Outreach Program
- Five Focus Groups:
- Creating Liturgy with The Rev. Dr. Canon Sandye A. Wilson
- Panel Discussion with Representatives from the Union of Black Episcopalians
- Diversity video with panel discussion
- Focus on Youth for Youth
- Exploring Being an Acolyte
If possible, please register online below and then pay at the door.
Questions? Call Nancy Travis Bolden at 412-683-8888 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Deadline: January 27, 2014.
Guest Preacher for Absalom Jones Day:
The Rev. Dr. Canon Sandye A. Wilson
- First black woman to serve as rector in the world wide Anglican Communion (Currently: Rector of St. Andrew and Holy Communion Church, South Orange, NJ)
- First woman priest elected to the Executive Council of the Episcopal Church (served 18 yrs)
- First woman priest to address the opening session of the General Convention
- First woman priest to serve as National President of the Union of Black Episcopalians
- Member of the Episcopal Church's National Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music
- Only priest to serve as a deputy to General Convention from five different dioceses.
- * 2013 Recipient – Rev. Dr. Pauline Murray Distinguished Humanitarian Service Award