Taking a Hike
Nearly 40 teens and youth leaders, representing a half-dozen parishes, spent the morning and early afternoon of August 21 walking, picnicking, and celebrating the Eucharist among the shady groves of North Park.
Bishop Price shared reflections on the Gospel of Luke 10:1-9, concerning discipleship: "The Lord appointed seventy others and sent them on ahead of him in pairs."
This was the second year for the youth hike. It was sponsored by the diocesan Pittsburgh Youth Initiative, which thanks Pamela's restaurants for providing lunch.
As the hike event ended, the Rev. Kris Opat announced PYI's plans for the upcoming year:
* Episcopal Day at PNC Park – Come join the Youth Initiative, Calvary Camp and many others from the Dioceses of Pittsburgh and Northwestern Pennsylvania for a free Pirate game on Sunday, September 19 at 1:35 p.m.
* Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, Pt. 1 – The viewing of the new Harry Potter movie, with discussion, is planned for November 19th.
* Ski Trip 2011 – Even though the weather didn't cooperate last year, that won't stop us this January 22nd.
* Youth Lock-in – dates and details to come.
* Retreat at Calvary Camp – We had a wonderful time in May on our first Youth Initiative Retreat and we are doing it again this year, tentatively May 13-15, 2011.
* EYE 2011, Episcopal Youth Event in Minneapolis – The "Big Event" for the year. This national gathering of young Episcopalians takes place every three years. The diocese has not been represented in a long time and we are excited to host a trip. Also, we have been offered free transportation. The dates are June 20-28 (including travel dates). See www.episcopalyouthevent.org
Find PYI on Facebook
Keep up with diocesan youth happenings by joining the "Pittsburgh Youth Initiative" fan page and you will receive information and updates on your Facebook wall. If you would like to be on the e-mail list for announcements and events, send your preferred address to email@example.com